The National Advisory Committee on Blood and Blood Products (NAC) shall collaborate with and provide advice on the utilization management of blood and blood products and transfusion medicine practice to the provincial and territorial (PT) Ministries of Health and Canadian Blood Services (CBS). To this end, NAC shall:
- Provide advice on matters pertaining to blood supply, including those directly affecting the practice of transfusion medicine in hospitals;
- Share information about blood and blood product utilization and utilization management efforts, and play a supportive role in the development of guidelines and recommendations for product use;
- Identify opportunities to optimize transfusion medicine practices;
- On a jurisdictional level, provide leadership in the identification, design and implementation of blood utilization management initiatives for the optimization of patient care; and
- Assist Canadian Blood Services in its product selection process.
The NAC shall take direction from and report to the CBS/PT Blood Liaison Committee.